Why do I need SERVPRO® professionals to help clean after a house/building fire
Smoke and soot are very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. At SERVPRO® of South Frisco/The Colony, our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke:
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO® of South Frisco/The Colony will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber:
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood:
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire:
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions.
SERVPRO® of South Frisco/The Colony has the equipment, expertise, and experience to help properly restore your fire and smoke damaged home or business.